Hi, How Can We Help You?

Florida’s minimum wage has i...

Florida’s minimum wage has increased to $8.10 per hour

During and following the latest election cycle there has been a lot of talk about lowering and raising the minimum wage. So, what exactly is the current minimum wage?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”), which was created by Congress to address actions by employers that were “detrimental to the maintenance of the minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency, and general well-being of workers” , has established, with some exceptions, a federal minimum wage of $7.25. However, the FLSA “provides minimum standards that may be exceeded, but cannot be waived or reduced. Employers must comply, for example, with any Federal, State or municipal laws, regulations or ordinances establishing a higher minimum wage.”

Many states have created a minimum wage which is equal to or exceeds the federal minimum wage. In Florida, the right to be paid a minimum wage is guaranteed by the Florida Constitution. In 2004, the Florida Constitution was amended to create a state minimum wage. That minimum wage is adjusted annually by the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation based on the rate of inflation during the prior twelve months. Any change to the minimum wage takes effect on January 1st of the following year. On January 1, 2017, Florida’s minimum wage increased to $8.10 per hour from $8.05 in 2015 and 2016. Since Florida enacted a state minimum wage in 2005, it has increased as follows:

Year Amount
2005 $6.15
2006 $6.40
2007 $6.67
2008 $6.79
2009 $7.21
2010 $7.25
2011 $7.31
2012 $7.67
2013 $7.79
2014 $7.93
2015 $8.05
2016 $8.05
2017 $8.10

If you are in the Broward, Palm Beach or Miami-Dade Counties and feel that you have been paid below the minimum wage, you may be entitled to double the wages you are owed. The Law Office of Brandon J. Gibson, PLLC is here to help, contact us today to schedule a consultation. We will hear the details of your claim, determine what options you have under applicable laws, and help you pursue your case.


Share Post